On this page
Nursing Council or Nurses Organisation
May 2019 - Enrolled Nurse Section Rules
The updated Enrolled Nurse Section Rules as per below were passed at the 2015 Enrolled Nurse Section Conference
August 2016 - Enrolled Nurse Section Strategic Plan
The Enrolled Nurse Section NZNO Strategic Plan 2016 - 2021 has been updated following consultation and was endorsed at the 2016 Enrolled Nurse Section Conference and by the NZNO Board of Directors.
April 2014 - Enrolled Nurse supported into Practice Programme
The Enrolled Nurse Section NZNO have developed a paper on Enrolled Nurse Supported Into Practice Programme (EN SIPP). This is for a fully funded 6 month new enrolled nurse supported into practice programme in our District Health Boards to support newly graduated enrolled nurses.
"The Enrolled Nurse Section NZNO had the following papers endorsed at the 2013 Enrolled Nurse Section NZNO Conference and by the NZNO Board of Directors. The Enrolled Nurse Section NZNO National Committee will use these papers as guidelines when lobbying on behalf of its members. They are available for all enrolled nurses to use in their workplaces when involved in consultation on enrolled nurse position descriptions and enrolled nurse education and professional development".
August 2012 - Standards of Practice
The Enrolled Nurse Section launched their first Standards of Practice for Enrolled Nurses at their Annual Conference in May 2002.
In 2007, at their Annual Conference they launched the revised edition of these. The revised edition had been updated against the NZNO Standards of Practice for Nurses.
The National Enrolled Nurse Section also consulted with Te Runanga during the revision of our Standards of Practice.
At the 2011 Annual Enrolled Nurse Section Conference, conference attendees decided that the standards of practice should be retained and updated. The Nursing Council of New Zealand Enrolled Nurse Scope of Practice has been added not the standards. Further discussion will occur in two - three years time at the annual conference as to whether we continue to retain them.
We envisage that all Enrolled Nurses will take these standards to their workplaces to be implemented into their organisation's policies.
Guideline: responsibilities for direction and delegation of care to enrolled nurses
The Nursing Council of New Zealand Guideline: responsibilities for direction and delegation fo care to enrolled nurses contains information relevant to Enrolled Nurses. It can be obtained from the Council website www.nursingcouncil.org.nz.
Education programme standards for the enrolled nurse scope of practice
The Nursing Council of New Zealand booklet on the education programme standards for the enrolled nurse lists the standards for Enrolled Nurse programmes in New Zealand. It can be downloaded from the Nursing Council website www.nursingcouncil.org.nz.
Competencies for Enrolled Nurses
The Nursing Council of New Zealand booklet on the Competencies for Enrolled Nurses is available to download on the Nursing Council of New Zealand website www.nursingcouncil.org.nz.
Back to top
Professional Development for Enrolled Nurses
Health Education Trust
The Health Education Trust in Christchurch are offering Professional Development for Enrolled Nurses via distance learning. For more information visit their website.
ARA Institute of Technology (Previously CPIT)
The ARA has ongoing professional development for Enrolled Nurses. See link below for graduate certificate.
Wesley Institute of Learning
The Wesley Institute of Learning provides dedicated training in the aged care sector for Healthcare Professionals and workers. For transition to the broadened enrolled nurse scope of practice see the Competency Assessment Programme.
Back to top
Confirmed meeting minutes of the Enrolled Nurse Section (NZNO) national committee meetings:
- November 2019 (PDF, 1.89MB)
- August 2019 (PDF, 1.41MB)
- August 2018 (PDF, 1.28MB)
- February 2018 (PDF, 1.26MB)
- November 2017 (PDF, 1.18MB)
- August 2017 (PDF, 919KB)
- February 2017 (PDF, 848KB)
- November 2016 (PDF, 976KB)
- August 2016 (PDF, 528KB)
- February 2016 (PDF, 965KB)
- November 2015 (PDF, 1.07MB)
- August 2015 (PDF, 812KB)
- February 2015 (PDF, 453KB)
- November 2014 (PDF, 380KB)
- August 2014 (PDF, 98MB)
- June 2014 Minutes (PDF, 314KB)
- March 2014 Minutes (PDF, 350 KB)
Back to top
Previous Conference Presentations
2019 EN Conference Presentations
2018 EN Conference Presentations
Back to top
2017 EN Conference Presentations
2016 EN Conference Presentations
Back to top
2015 EN Conference Presentations
Back to top
2014 EN Conference Presentations
- Memo Musa, CEO, NZNO - Priorities for Health (PDF, 370KB)
- Memo Musa - Speech Notes (PDF, 286KB)
- Enrolled Nurse Panel (PDF, 431KB)
- Enrolled Nurse Panel Speech notes (PDF, 325KB)
- Carolin Reed - Mind the Gap (PDF, 1.82MB)
- Linda Grady - Sepsis (PDF, 5.9MB)
- Blair Donkin - Home Dialysis Support Programme (PDF, 1.18MB)
- Darryl Tong - Maxillofacial War Surgery (PDF, 7.30MB)
- Paul Stanaway Role of the EN in mental health
- Suzanne Rolls - Nursing Ethics (1.21MB)
- Janice Handley - EN’s In Primary Health Care (PDF,1MB)
- Juliet Manning - EN Supported Orientation (PDF, 603KB)
- Robyn Schakelarr - District Nursing (PDF, 6.07MB)
- Vicki Sadgrove - Parkinson's, Northland (PDF, 200KB)
- Barbara Brookes - Women's Health (PDF, 1.15MB)
- ENS AGM Remits (PDF, 619KB)
- Lorraine Borthwick - Innovations in Technology medical (PDF, 3.32MB)
- Maryanne Craker - Australian Enrolled Nursing (PDF, 417KB)
- Angela Crespin - Wound case study (PDF, 2.18MB)
GOOD LIVES HEALTHY FUTURE – A green print for health
Green Party Health Tour 2014, Kevin Hague, Health Spokesperson
Back to top
Enrolled Nurse Title updates
31 January 2011
The National Enrolled Nurse Section wrote to the Nursing Council late in 2010, requesting an extension on the transition process for enrolled nurses. Below is a copy of our letter and the reply we received from the Nursing Council.
The National Enrolled Nurse Section wishes to encourage all Enrolled Nurses to complete the transtiion by 1st July 2011.
29 October 2010
The National Enrolled Nurse Section is preparing a submission on the Nursing Council of New Zealand discussion document "Guidelines: Direction and Delegation". We welcome your input as an enrolled nurse and these close with the National committee on the 16th November 2010 at email@example.com
- Guideline: Direction and Delegation (PDF)
14 August 2010
The EN Transition working group have released an information sheet for employers. Attaining the new competencies will allow enrolled nurses to work in more areas. If an EN does not complete the competence assessment the Nursing Council will place a restriction on their scope of practice.
21 July 2010
The NZNO National Enrolled Nurse Section is wishing to profile the role of the Enrolled Nurse within Health Care settings in New Zealand. Please click on the document below to access information, instructions and deadline.
16 July 2010
The EN Transition working group have released an information sheet containing transition information for Enrolled Nurses.
This document has been prepared specifically for Enrolled Nurses, to provide information and advice on how to transition to the revised scope and where to get support.
09 June 2010
- The Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ) has announced the transition arrangements for Enrolled Nurses to the new scope of practice.
- Nurse Assistants will be renamed Enrolled Nurses, and will need to do additional education to transition to this new scope. They will need to undertake an assessment against the new competencies in the next 12 months.
- Over 3000 EN's have now received letters from the Nursing Council explaining the requirements but details of the transition arrangements can also be found on the NCNZ website at www.nursingcouncil.org.nz
- If you are an Enrolled Nurse and did not receive a NCNZ letter or have any questions about what this means for you, please contact the Nursing Council or visit their website in the first instance.
30 April 2010
- The Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ) has announced the new diploma qualification for Enrolled Nursing.
- This diploma will be level 5 on the NZQA framework. There will be one title, one scope of practice and one set of competencies for all Enrolled Nurses.
- The details of the transition arrangements for all existing Enrolled Nurses to the new scope of practice and competencies are not officially known yet. The Nursing Council will be writing to all Enrolled Nurses informing them of what this means in the next couple of weeks, outlining what steps are required. Information will also be available via a Nursing Council 0800 number and via their website.
Nursing Council of New Zealand Enrolled Nurse and Nurse Assistants enquiries:
Des Turia, Registration Adviser
Phone: 0508 enrolled (0508 3676 5533)
If after speaking to the Nursing Council you are still unclear about how the changes effect you contact NZNO Professional Nursing Advisor,Suzanne Rolls at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrolled Nurse Title background documents
Back to top