PHARMAC is reviewing on the decision criteria it uses to make its pharmaceutical funding decisions. The criteria directly affect the pharmaceutical treatments that are available for public subsidy.
The decision criteria are currently:
- The health needs of all eligible people;
- The particular health needs of Māori and Pacific peoples;
- The availability and suitability of existing medicines, therapeutic medical devices and related products and related things;
- The clinical benefits and risks of pharmaceuticals;
- The cost-effectiveness of meeting health needs by funding pharmaceuticals rather than using other publicly funded health & disability support services;
- The budgetary impact (in terms of the pharmaceutical budget and the Government’s overall health budget) of any changes to the Schedule;
- The direct cost to health service users;and
- The Government’s priorities for health funding, as set out in any objectives notified by the Crown to PHARMAC, or in PHARMAC’s Funding Agreement, or elsewhere; and such other criteria as PHARMAC thinks fit.
PHARMAC is also holding community forums throughout June and July.
Feedback Due: Marilyn Head, NZNO Policy Analyst firstname.lastname@example.org 04 494 6372 by 23 August 2013