Professional indemnity insurance through NZNO

NZNO members’ professional indemnity insurance provides comprehensive cover for defending accusations, complaints or claims against members related to their professional practice.

Indemnity insurance frequently asked questions (updated February 2024)

Cover applies to claims and investigations related to your professional practice, that occur when you are (or you were) working in a health care occupation covered by NZNO Tōpūtanga Tapuhi Kaitiaki o Aotearoa and when you are (or were) a financial or student member of NZNO.

There is no cover for:

  • any business activity
  • any claim arising from professional services given or not given when under the influence of intoxicants or drugs
  • appearance medicine where your professional practice is not under the guidance of a medical practitioner, or the standing orders of a medical practitioner, or where you have any financial interest or shareholding in the business
  • you are a research nurse and are performing the role of an investigator in connection with a phase 1, 2, 3, or 4 drug trial
  • practice in the territories of the Commonwealth of Canada or the United States of America (except medical assistance voluntarily administered at the scene of an emergency, accident or disaster provided you were not engaged in a professional capacity by a person or entity to do so)
  • any conduct outside New Zealand if you have been absent from New Zealand for a period longer than 90 continuous days.

Indemnity insurance through NZNO provides for costs related to:

  • any investigation or proceedings under the Nurses Act 1977 and Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003
  • any investigation or proceedings to the Health and Disability Commissioner or under The Health and Disability Commissioner Act 1994
  • any coroner’s inquest
  • any investigation, hearing or inquiry of the Accident Compensation Corporation or related district court hearing
  • any investigations under the Privacy Act 2020
  • any proceedings in the Human Rights Review Tribunal
  • any ministerial inquiry
  • any commission of inquiry
  • any criminal actions relating to negligence or standards of care
  • any civil claims in the District Court or High Court
  • all costs incurred in any of the investigation, defence and settlement of any matter to which this insurance applies; and for any costs incurred in connection with any legal proceedings, investigation, inquiry, dispute or disciplinary action related to your professional practice.

Up to:

  • $500,000 per claim, to a maximum of $1,000,000 per year
  • a maximum of $200,000 for criminal defence costs.

If you need to access your indemnity insurance phone the NZNO Membership Support Centre (MSC) on 0800 28 38 48 as soon you are aware of a possible claim or are advised of your involvement with an investigation or notification. The MSC will contact the appropriate person/s to assist you.

It is your responsibility to compare and review the indemnity insurance policy of your employer or training provider to indemnity insurance provided through NZNO.

However, we strongly recommend you have your own indemnity insurance through NZNO as there is the potential for conflict of interests for both parties should a claim arise and you are only covered by your employer’s indemnity insurance. 

Student nurses are covered when on practical work assignments. When working part-time in addition to their studies or while working during the holidays as a caregiver or HCA, the appropriate NZNO membership fee must be paid, so indemnity insurance remains valid. If you have any questions, please call NZNO on 0800 28 38 48 for assistance.

Nursing/midwifery students in a New Zealand undergraduate programme undertaking an overseas placement as part of their training programme are covered for up to 90 continuous days except in the territories of the Commonwealth of Canada or the United States of America.

We recommend separate indemnity insurance in such situations.

Co-ordinating clinical trial work, clinical research or other research into nursing practice is covered. However, performing the role of an investigator in connection with phase 1, 2, 3 or 4 drug trials is not covered.

Where you are escorting a patient on a foreign airline to another country you are covered except in the territories of the Commonwealth of Canada or the United States of America.

You are covered if you escort a patient back to Canada or the USA, but cover ceases as soon as the patient has been handed over, or after 24 hours of you landing in that country (whichever occurs first).

Temporary work overseas (except in the territories of the Commonwealth of Canada or the United States of America) is covered (but only for matters pursued in New Zealand courts/jurisdictions) if you are absent from New Zealand for a period of up to, but not longer than, 90 continuous days. 

Your professional practice is covered unless you are working in appearance medicine and have any financial interest or shareholding in the business where you are practising. Claims against businesses are not covered.

NZNO Tōpūtanga Tapuhi Kaitiaki o Aotearoa recommends you seek independent indemnity insurance advice about cover for your business. You can choose to seek that advice from the broker NZNO uses (Arthur J Gallagher & Co.) who can be contacted on 04 381 8157 or by email:

Please contact our Membership Team ( or 0800 28 38 48 option 2) to request this confirmation.

If you want a copy of the policy document for indemnity insurance through NZNO, or are unsure about your personal indemnity coverage, please contact NZNO on 0800 28 38 48 or email

The answers to these frequently asked questions about indemnity insurance do not in themselves constitute legal or insurance advice. They are general responses only. If you have a specific question relating to an individual situation , please contact NZNO on 0800 28 38 48..