The inquiry into Mental Health and Addictions He Ara Oranga identified the Mental Health Act (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act 1992 as needing urgent revision.
The attached draft of a revision of the Guidelines to the Mental Health Act attempts to address the following issues identified in stakeholder consultation during September:
- Section 7A family/whanau consultation
- Cultural responsiveness
- Clarification of statutory roles
- Significant figures including Duly Authorised Officers and ‘principal caregiver’
In addition supported decision making, the NZ Bill of Rights, te Tiriti o Waitangi principles and respect for gender identity are covered.
Feedback is now sought on the revised guidelines, with publication planned for March 2020.
Please use the following questions to framework your responses:
- Are there practical issues with the proposed changes? What suggestions do you have to resolve these?
- Is cultural responsiveness sufficiently addressed
- Are te Tiriti o Waitangi principles appropriately applied
- Is gender identity appropriately described?
Do provisions in the Act sufficiently take account of mental health and addiction experiences?
Please see link for document.
Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 13, 2019.