Te Poari membership includes the Kaiwhakahaere, Tumu Whakarae and regional representatives. Te Poari regional representation is on a regional basis. Representatives are elected into position by the regional Te Rūnanga membership.
Te Poari o Te Rūnanga o Aotearoa "Ko Tāku Manawa Ko Tāu Manawa"
Back Row: Tina Konia, Kelly Beckett-McDonald, Lizzy Kepa-Henry, Margaret Hand, Titihuia Pakeho, Mairi Lucas, Anamaria Watene, Kerri Nuku, Keelan Ransfield, Ruth Te Rangi
Front Row: Shannon Lake-Ta'amilo, Tracy Black, Tamarah Thomason-Tata, Tracey Morgan
Te Poari, the Committee of Te Rūnanga, shall support the Board by working in partnership to achieve NZNO strategic aims in giving effect to te Tiriti o Waitangi and by working with the Board to give full recognition to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) of July 2000 between Te Rūnanga and the NZNO.
Te Poari shall:
- assist NZNO to ensure its processes reflect Tikanga Māori;
- assist NZNO to uphold Tikanga Māori within NZNO;
- undertake the election process for Kaiwhakahaere, and Tumu whakarae in accordance to Tikanga process, and other Te Rūnanga representative appointments as appropriate;
- articulate Te Rūnanga regional issues to the Board;
- assist NZNO where appropriate to ensure it is responsive to the needs of Te Rūnanga and member issues;
- support the education and professional development in Tikanga Māori practice within the organisation; and
- use its best endeavors to ensure the relationship between the NZNO and Te Rūnanga is founded on and is carried on in accordance with Kawa.
Membership: Te Poari o Te Rūnanga o Aotearoa membership shall be appointed at the Rūnanga Hui a Tau and shall consist of up to 17 regional representatives, and the Kaiwhakahaere and Tumu whakarae and Kaumātua.
The quorum for meetings shall be six, one of whom shall be the Kaiwhakahaere or in his/her absence, the Tumu whakarae.
The Board shall establish a Te Poari Charter detailing Te Poari’s objectives, responsibilities, and operations.